Some Fun Facts About Our Tomatoes
30th March 2021
Did you know that tomatoes are packed full of amazing vitamins and antioxidants?
We are constantly researching into the benefits of our lovely tomatoes here at The Tomato Stall. Working closely with the University of Portsmouth we have discovered so much and wanted to share with you all. Here are some fun facts you might never have known about our juicy tomatoes.
- Unlike most other fruit and veg, research suggests that heat processing actually enhances the nutritional value of the tomato as it increases it's lycopene content.
- The antioxidant lycopene is linked to many health benefits such as improving heart and skin health. Our tomatoes actually contain a higher percentage of antioxidant activity than other European varieties.
- Our tomato with the most lycopene is the golden classic vine which contradicts the idea that it is the lycopene that gives the tomato its rich red colour.
- It’s not just oranges that are great for boosting your vitamin C. Just a single tomato can provide about 40% of the daily recommended minimum. How incredible is that?
- Serving tomatoes with a bit of olive oil has been shown to amplify each others extraordinary benefits. The perfect power couple!