Isle of Wight Tomato and sausage minestrone
A hearty and warming favourite of ours
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 echalion shallots chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 1 large potato peeled and diced
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 stick of celery diced
- 6 pork sausages
- 500g Isle of Wight mixed cherry/plum tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 500ml chicken stock
- 150g pasta, a small shape is ideal, for example, mini shells
- 400g tin cannellini beans
- Small bunch of basil, leaves chopped
- 75g parmesan grated
Preheat the oven to 200°c.
In a large pan, heat the olive oil and sauté the echalion, carrot, potato, garlic and celery until softened, around 10 minutes.
Snip the sausages into 3-4cm pieces and remove the skins. Add a drizzle of olive oil to a frying pan and allow to heat through. Add the sausages and fry until golden and cooked through.
Place the tomatoes on a roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and season. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes until softened.
Pour the chicken stock in the pan with the sautéed vegetables and bring to a gentle simmer.
Once simmering add the pasta and leave to simmer until the pasta is cooked, around 20 minutes. When the pasta is cooked, add the roasted tomatoes, sausages and cannellini beans. Leave on the heat to allow the beans to warm through.