I.O.W Yellow Tomato Ketchup recipe
Learn how to make this unique ketchup with food writer Claire Thomson, read on for details of where to find the video.
- 3kg ripe ‘seconds’ or soft tomatoes – halved and seeds squeezed out, keep the juice
- 2 onions, peeled and roughly sliced or diced
- ½ -1 head of garlic, cloves peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 40g salt
- 450g sugar
- 600ml white wine vinegar, or use cider vinegar
- ½ - 1 tsp ground allspice
- ¼ ground cloves
For the video on how to make this at home, check out our Instagram video here.
Put all the ingredients into a large pan, bring to the boil, reduce the heat then simmer for about 2 ½ - 3 hours over low - moderate heat.
Take care to stir from time to time so the ketchup doesn't catch and burn on the bottom.
Leave to cool slightly, then blend thoroughly.
Put the blended ketchup back in the pan and simmer for 10 minutes to thicken and ensure the ketchup is very, very hot to jar, above 85C is best.
Put the very hot ketchup in well sterilised jars and seal tightly.
Sealed correctly, these jars will keep fine in a cool dark cupboard as you would store any jams and chutney.
Once opened, the individual bottles should be stored in the fridge. It will keep well in the fridge for up to a month.