IOW Tomato and Chalkstream Trout
A Sicilian inspired dish made with Chalkstream trout fillets
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 anchovy fillets, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 12 olives, halved
- 1 tbsp drained and chopped capers
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 300g tomatoes, chopped into bite size pieces
- Sea salt & black pepper
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, for oiling pan and brushing fillets
- 2 Chalkstream trout fillets
- Sea salt Freshly ground black pepper
- Finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for serving
To make the sauce, heat the oil and anchovies in a frying pan over a medium heat, stirring until the anchovies are sizzling and broken down, about 2 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook until it begins sizzle. Stir in the olives, capers, and chilli flakes and cook for another 2 minutes. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and season with the salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and set the sauce aside.
Heat another frying pan. Brush the trout fillets on both sides with oil and season with the salt and pepper. Place the fish in the hot pan, skin side down, and cook until the skin is crispy, about 3 minutes. Flip the trout over and cook until the other side is nicely coloured, about 3 minutes more.
Heat the tomato mixture through if necessary. Transfer each fillet to a plate and top with a spoonful of the sauce. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.